Tuesday 12 August 2014

Going back is going forward

Going back to studying after working a full time job is no easy task. When I walked into the lush green Mohali campus at the Indian School of Business, I couldn't help but feel a sense of nostalgia that took me back to my undergraduate days.

What is it like to be studying at the Indian School of Business? Lots of adjectives come to mind, pride, happiness, a sense of fulfillment, and of course overwhelming in every sense. Over here, I’ve met people from different walks of life. A chartered accountant looking to study corporate finance from a legal perspective. An adept expert in IT systems itching to make a difference in the healthcare industry. A filmmaker who wants to learn the business nuances of the media world. The people, the scale of their achievements and their future goals inspires you to be a better person not just professionally, but personally as well.

This school stands out for its collaborative environment, something that the student population here dearly fosters. This has been a staple mental diet right from its founding batch, where people enter with different mindsets, yet work towards a common goal, helping each other in whichever way they can, whether it is a project that needs a specialty field understanding or an event that needs to be carried out successfully.



However, my favorite part of studying here, are the classes that I take. I walk out of every academic session as a different person, understanding better how things work in different industries, roles, functions and fields. Our world-class professors bring in their wealth of knowledge to each class, and we look forward to their innovative ways of teaching; whether it is conducting the legendary taste test to explain the Coke and Pepsi battlefield or teaching us to strategize like corporate honchos in the Markstrat world, the learning curve at the Indian School of Business is an upward one, where you are all but a sponge waiting to soak all that knowledge in. Another pleasant aspect is the stories that our professors narrate from different universities they frequent, whether it is Kellogg or Wharton, we understand that we all are pretty much working towards the same goal - being better managers in our future workplaces, while keeping the big picture in mind.

Two terms down, and I look back in complete fondness of the times that have gone by. What started out as an MBA adventure has changed into an introspective journey, where I find myself learning new things everyday, filling my memory jar with happy and fulfilling times and of course, the tingly feeling of excitement as I think of what the future terms hold in store for me.

Shrikala Kashyap, Class of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment